Sunday, August 22, 2010

What's Next

Well, this is getting to be a habit. For the second week in a row, the featured review in the Denver Post books section is by yours truly. Enjoy my review of Zero History by William Gibson.

I think the review is pretty good, but I was well-prepared by interviewing the author a few months ago. It's always a pleasure to hear Gibson's unique voice, whether it's in print or on the telephone. I mentioned to him that his most recent books are rather unnerving because they make the future feel like a place where no one knows what's going to happen next.

"Well, I think that is what the future feels like now," he said. "It’s what I was feeling a decade ago. I had to be really honest with myself and with the reader in admitting that I didn’t know what was going to happen, even in a limited way. I couldn’t even pretend I knew what was going to happen. I’ve never meant to predict what might happen in the future. I’ve just written about pretending that. It got to a point where it all just seemed like everything was going to be random. But we were a decade into it being kind of random, and I started to think about how I might fit into that place."

Fascinating conversation, and a terrific interview subject, even if he does make my brain hurt just a bit...

No comments: