Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Back from the Dead

No, I am not dead. I have felt like I was dead a few times during the last month, and during the ear-splitting ache that infected my skull last week I might have prayed for death a few times, but no such luck. Here I remain upon this mortal coil. Which is more than I can say for poor Jim Carroll, god rest his punk-rock soul.

Which doesn't mean I haven't been relatively busy. Between looking for work like everyone else on the planet, stalking the numerous clients who owe me money, and trying to pour out the contents of my brain out onto paper in my semi-regular attempts to light a fire under my creative side, you could never exactly peg me as lackadaisical.

After a brief intermission to visit family last month, I'm back at Bookslut with a new column. And really, what did Bookslut need more than a good dose of indie comedy? So go forth, and read "Paperbacks and Fever Dreams," turning out the innards of three great new paperback novels, Huge, Something's Missing and How To Rob an Armored Car, among a few other tidbits.

Elsewhere in the September issue, you'll find lots of good stuff including interviews with Kate Greenstreet, Sarah Manguso and Christos Tsiolkas; lots of new book reviews covering the widest range of topics available to man; and some really great columns that get down on Leonard Cohen, Richard Stark, the Apollo moon landing and Rosemary's Baby, among myriad other subjects. Go give a hand to our new day-to-day editor Caroline Eick and Berlin-bound commandant Jessa Crispin. This kind of output makes me proud to be among these writers. As an added bonus, if you're in Chicago tonight, the Bookslut Reading Series goes to town with Barry Schechter and Dave Reidy.

If you're into the homebound thing, let me suggest a bit of television entertainment that complements the new column perfectly. HBO is showing off its new series, Bored To Death, for free on various outlets including Itunes all week. The series was created by Jonathan Ames (The Alcoholic) and stars Jason Schwartzman as a blocked writer who's supplementing his creative process by pretending to be a private detective. Wait, are we sure I didn't write this?

No comments: