Friday, February 13, 2009

Don't Bogart That Review, My Friend

I'm not sure I've taken quite as grave an approach to this peppy new title by Joe Gores as some others have (*Cough* New York Times) but I think it's fair. In today's Rocky Mountain News - still publishing! - you can find my review, "Hammett Homage Revisits Sam Spade," which takes a brief look at the new Maltese Falcon prequel Spade and Archer.

For more detailed takes on the book, you can also check out reviews by the lovely Sarah Weinman (L.A. Times) and Cara Black (SF Gate), not to mention quite a bit of story-behind-the-book at Confessions of an Idiosyncratic Mind.

So what's this bird that everybody's all steamed up about? You Netflix subscribers can watch the original movie online. Or there's always the trailer if you're in a rush.

People lose teeth talking like that.

No comments: