Monday, January 5, 2009

Your Chance to Grill Andrew Vachss

Ever wanted a chance to interrogate a favorite crime writer? You never know where it might lead you. I interviewed novelist Andrew Vachss, the celebrated and controversial author behind hardcore criminal Burke, way back in 2003, and it opened a lot of doors that I never anticipated.

It's your turn. Andrew is going to answer questions from the readership of his 18 Burke novels (not to mention the equally interesting recent one-offs The Getaway Man and Two Trains Running) during a one-of-a-kind webcast on January 14th. The only catch is that you have to pre-register to be heard.

I just spoke with Andrew a couple of days ago, the occasion being the December 30th publication of Another Life, the very last Burke book. He says bring it on.

"I really think we can replicate one of my book events, which means none of that author-reading from his work stuff," he said. "The audience fires away and I fire back. I don't duck questions. There's no reason it can't work as long as people register in advance, so they can click, and there I am."

He's a busy man, and although he's always done his part to promote his own work, Andrew has plenty of other irons in the fire, not least Protect, the national pro-child, anti-crime membership association that he helped to found, and which passed some serious legislation in October of 2008. That doesn't mean he's done writing, though, and you can see a sample of his upcoming work in the January issue of Esquire with the (very) short story "Sure Thing." So this is a pretty rare opportunity to get up close and personal with him during any one of the planned three one-hour segments.

"The whole world doesn't live in big cities," Vachss said. "I can't visit all the places I've been asked to come to, or accept all the invitations I get to speak. This is the most democratic way. I couldn't close the show and ignore people who have wanted to ask questions for years. It doesn't matter where you are. Dial it up."

There you go. Go to http://www.vachss.com/anotherlife/webcast_2009.html to sign up to see the prizefight. I'll update a little closer to the event with the new URL, but registering should get you in the door just fine.

To get prepped about Burke, Vachss, and other topics sure to rattle your cage, visit AV's official site, The Zero. For more information on Protect's mission & efforts, visit Protect.org.

1 comment:

Dana Kim said...

Excellent! Thanks for the info on the Andrew Vachss webcast -- I have just registered!