Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Eavesdropping

I'm preoccupied with an assignment that's requiring me to learn the modern history of Pakistan and a not-insignificant amount of information about nuclear proliferation, but I've decided to break radio silence before the American holiday to get rid of the idle links that are starting to stack up on my desktop like virtual cordwood. Peruse or ignore at your leisure.

CNN gives Walter Mosley the once-over about the end of the Easy Rawlins series. “I may be representative for somebody else, but not for me. I'm doing what I think is important. I love writing, and I write about black male heroes. I don't really want to write about anything else, so I don't." The Times reviews Blonde Faith and gets a tiny bit of self-inquisitive insight: “It could very well be that we critics fail to fully appreciate Mosley’s talents because his Rawlins mysteries appear to come off so effortlessly.” What? Writing might take work? Say it isn’t so.

Empire Magazine continues its much-appreciated month of crime with “The Wiliest Lawbreakers on Planet Film.”

I met Kurt Loder once, by accident, at some kind of post-Columbine event for teens in Denver. Always thought he was too thoughtful for MTV. But I suppose it gives him the opportunity to write things like this pensive review of Alan Moore’s new entry in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series, Black Dossier. I was waiting for paperback but I think Loder’s recommendation has tipped the scales in favor of picking it up this week.

Following my adaptive theme as of late, The New Yorker has a very weird feature on “The Ten Videogames That Should Be Movies,” complete with a nod to Michael Gondry and a clip of the famous “Hot Coffee” sequence from Grand Theft Auto. Kind of racy for them, don’t you think?

Meta link of the day: USA Today has a short and uninformative article about books about books. Let me get this straight: the newspaper written for people who don’t read has an article about books about books that people don’t read. Right? Right.

On an offbeat, somewhat related note, I skimmed a few pages of the recently released The Bookaholic’s Guide To Book Blogs this weekend, which was a source of endless amusement. Bookslut is in there. Apparently for years, I’ve been writing “Riot Lit.” Who knew?

My brother (an equally loquacious sports fiend) might be the only one to appreciate the hilarity of this headline: “FOOTBALL + TERRORISM + SPIES = PULITZER!” Apparently Broncos kicker Jason Elam has teamed up with his pastor to write the future bestseller Monday Night Jihad. No, seriously.

Cracked used to be Mad Magazine’s retarded sibling but it seems to be having something of an renaissance online, as demonstrated by features like “The 5 Most Unintentionally Hilarious Comic Strips.”

Geek-out link of the day: A few years ago, I made a fascinating trip to Bletchley Park in England, recorded in a feature I wrote called “The Secrets of Station X.” While I was there, I met a quiet and unassuming gentleman named Tony Sale, who had spent the past decade of his life trying to rebuild the wildly inventive early computer called Colossus, which had been used to break the German “Enigma” codes in the worst days of World War II. I’ll be damned if he didn’t get the thing up and running.

And off-topic, I’m fascinated by this story about a P-38 Lightning that has turned up on the beach in Wales. Eerie photo. Very Clive Cussler, but in a good way.

No comments: