Thursday, July 5, 2007

Sandworms Rule!

I'm taking a little time off for the "holiday." And by holiday, I mean that brief time of year when I mourn the British abandoning us to our own misguided devices here in the New World.

That said, I'm pleased to report that Kirkus Reviews has posted up its Science Fiction and Fantasy Special, a publication to which yours truly contributed a few features. You can read the entire special online in .PDF format with a free Adobe reader. It might take a few minutes to load if you're on a slow connection.

It was a little outside of my area of expertise but I got to talk to some really fascinating writers who are genuinely dedicated and committed to these wild genres they inhabit.

My interviews included the wildly popular Terry Brooks (Sword of Shannara) and Brian Herbert, who has literally inherited the challenge of bringing the epic world of Dune to life since the passing of his famous father, Frank Herbert. It was also my pleasure to talk to Brian's partner-in-crime and prolific science fiction author in his own right Kevin J. Anderson, who enlightened me on the perils and opportunities of playing in the Dune and Star Wars universes. Kevin was also the only author in the special with two books selected to be featured, the second being Slan Hunter, his slam-bang completion of A.E. van Vogt's planned sequel to the classic Slan by A.E. van Vogt.

There are many other intriguing books in this special including the new Dresden Files novel by Jim Butcher, a selection of short stories by Alastair Reynolds, and plenty of other ruminations on orcs, starships and wormholes. Off you go.

1 comment:

karen said...

this looked like a link that might interest you:

http://therapsheet-onebook.blogspot.com/

hope you like your presents!