Tuesday, January 9, 2007

New Hotness

Bookslut is back from its holiday hiatus, apparently. The January issue features my interview with Tim Sandlin, one of the guys who first inspired me to start writing. I started trading postcards with Tim over a decade ago, after he admitted in the back of one of his books that most of his fan mail came from prison. It always blew my mind when he wrote back. He's one of those guys like Chuck Palahniuk that genuinely appreciates the feedback from readers, as weird as it might be, and always has time for a word of encouragement.

You could have knocked me over with a feather when he got in touch with me last year after reading my interview with Christopher Moore, which name-checked Tim alongside John Steinbeck and other geniuses of comic writing. I'm pleased to be able to feature his work for for both old fans and new readers.

His books are (in no particular order): absurdly funny, mostly autobiographical, and distinctly reminiscent of the American west in all its faded glory. You can find out more about Tim and his new book, Jimi Hendrix Turns Eighty by visiting his website.

You can also find my monthly column at Bookslut and this month is a killer, featuring short interviews and previews of new work from three of the best crime writers in the business: Elmore Leonard, Donald E. Westlake and Walter Mosley.